Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A post, being a discourse of the past two days of my life

I decided to do something different with the post title. I really need to get a few better ideas! :)

Monday was average. Nothing much going on, at least that I'm remembering right now. Schoolwork, and a little time sledding on a small hill at the park a few blocks down from my house pretty much was my day.


Tuesday--I had a chemistry test. I did really well on it, and I'm so thankful, yet again, for answered prayer! After that, I had a bit of other schoolwork to do, and almost finished it before the scout meeting.


The scout meeting tonight was mainly two different things. Since the Klondike Derby (look in previous posts to discover what that is) is this Saturday, we've been trying to get ready for it. While Dad and I worked with several of the younger guys on knot-tying, the older guys headed up to the scout hall and finished repairs on the sled. Then, just as they got back to our meeting place (about 1/4 mile away), we finished the knots. We got the chance to pull the sled around the parking lot! :) We actually did pretty well, seeing that several of the guys had never had the chance to pull the sled before. Anyway, we got home from scouts after a while, and I finished my school for the day at about 10:15.


Yesterday, in literature, I read various works of the author Edgar Allen Poe. He was very dismal at times, and seemed to be obsessed with death. This wasn't the case in all his writings; the last one I read (and the only prose) was actually a detective story, similar in some ways to a Sherlock Holmes story. While this was enjoyable, the rest of the reading was, in some ways, very difficult to read. This man's wife, who(m)(?) he loved dearly, died only a few years after they were married. This, in a lot of ways, is the reason for his obession with death. In one of his poems, he talks of how he will "nevermore" get over the passing of his wife. If only he had trusted in Christ. In Him, there is comfort in all situations. Poe wanted relief, but he didn't turn to the one place that would offer him certain relief.

PS: I know the spacing between paragraphs is off. Sorry. The formatting is giving me fits. I've put up this posts half a dozen times already, and the formatting isn't right yet. I'm giving up! :)

3 comments:

Morton Family said...

Blogger can be rather annoying when it comes to formatting. We have not posted many times due to difficulties which arise when trying to post!

Sledding sounds great.....we would be doing the same if we had more snow!!!!
~K~

Anonymous said...

I really like Poe (at least Nevermore). Wasn't he the one who wrote Fall of the House of Usher?

You don't need to apologize for the spacing. I think it looks kinda good.

Wish I could sled. We have absolutely zilch hills. *sigh* :>)

Anonymous said...

I just re-read The Raven (yeah, not nevermore). I had forgotten how dark it was, but I love the rhym scheme.