Sunday, March 18, 2007

New Record! (I think)

I'm about certain this is a new record on my blog for longest time periods between posts. I'm not certain, but I think that's the case, and right now I don't think it's important enough to use precious calories by clicking the mouse a few times to find out! :)

OK. Last weekend, we had (for one of us anyway) surprise visitors. The Bussell family (or part of them) from the Southside RP congregation came for the weekend. Because of them being here, along with other visitors, we had close to 40 people at church! While some of you are thinking this is tiny, bear in mind that this is better than usual for us. Anyway, because of all the visitors, we had a dinner at church after both services and class. That was enjoyable--everyone always has something that they like!

Monday and Tuesday were nothing out of the ordinary, school-wise. The weather on both days was wonderful, especially Tuesday.

A couple of other things happened on Tuesday. Tuesday was when Nathaniel had to go back from Spring Break. It was really nice having him home for all that time. Dad and "Bumpas" got to go out with him. Apparently everyone had a nice time. They got back just before we had to leave for the scout meeting. This is where the other interesting occurrence happened. I'm no longer the troop SPL. "Milkdud" is now the SPL, but he's appointed me the ASPL. For those who don't know, the SPL is the Senior Patrol Leader, meaning he's the boss. The ASPL, as you might have guessed, is the Assistant Senior Patrol Leader. The SPL's job is the hardest in the troop. However, the ASPL is in some ways the easiest! I'll now have more time to work on Eagle stuff and schoolwork.

Wednesday wasn't anything special except for our weekly prayer meeting. While some people made it that don't normally, some people that normally do didn't. Diagram that sentence. Anyway, it was a profitable and enjoyable time.

Thursday wasn't anything special. I had a history test that I did OK on. That's all that I'm coming up with for importance.

Friday was finishing up schoolwork. That's about it.

Yesterday was business all day long. We had the second day of our "Scouting for Food." We dropped bags off at houses in a local town one week ago yesterday, and then yesterday went around collecting them, hoping that some people at least would put them out with food as we'd asked. A few did, but not many. We collected about 200 pounds of food, compared to last year's 350 or so. Oh well.

After that in the morning, I helped out with a Cub Scout Scouting for Food thing here in Belle Center. That was over quickly. As soon as I got back, I got lunch (at 1430 by the way) and got ready to go to a friend's house. This was great. He's another guy from scouts. However, this wasn't a scout event. He and several of his friends were getting together to have fun with Airsoft! It was great fun. The little BB's hurt a bit, but not for very long. "Bumpas" and I both got to do it for several hours, complete with a pizza-and-pop break in the middle. After everyone else was done with the Airsoft, "Bumpas" and I dueled a couple times and headed inside. Here, we just sat around having a great time. My friend's mom had made lots of grilled cheese sandwiches, so we gorged on these.

We ended up leaving a little after 2000, which was later than I was planning on. I got home and after a few minutes of resting up got to go to work on my Eagle project. There's a chance that I'll be dropping the Civil War and the Spanish-American War from the lists, since we can't find anyone KIA from either one. The records are horrible! I'm glad that nowadays records are kept a bit better...

This morning I managed to sleep through my watch alarm and my clock radio alarm. I woke up about 0910, a bit later than I was intending. I read my Bible and studied my assignment for class today, then came downstairs. Since then I've been doing one of three things. The first is getting ready for church today. The second is getting ready for the Morton family to come here after church for dinner, including making a basic repair to a chair. Hopefully, it will hold later when I sit down on it, or else I'm going to create an interesting diversion in the conversation! The third is doing like I've been all week: reading Pilgrim's Progress.

John Bunyan was certainly quite gifted in his writing of this great book. It sums up the Christian walk through life (pun not intended) very well. It's been quite profitable for me to read it again, since the last time was easily six years ago or more. If you have access to this book, I encourage you to read it again or for the first time. I'm about certain that you won't regret it!

Well, I must get going. I need to finish up getting ready. Hopefully this long post didn't bore you. I'll try to be a little more regular. Bye!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, has the chair held up?

erudil said...

One problem with Bunyan: he wasn't gifted with the ability to use chapters!

Isaac said...

Quite true...