Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I am sometimes greatly impressed with what people will do for fame...

I'm not always favorably impressed. Check out this video, for example.



Well, the campout went quite well. The food was scrumptious (thanks, Sean!), the weather was perfect, and the company was excellent. I enjoy being in a Christian scout troop so much. Compared to what it could be, it's great. There was only one problem. The wood for the great campfire we made was... green. We didn't notice. Unfortunately, we also didn't quite have enough of little stuff in there, so that combination means the main campfire we made for the program with the entire camporee there... well, it flamed up spectacularly (partly thanks to the cordite we used :D) for a few minutes, then dyed back to smoking like crazy. It was particularly well-suited for sending smoke signals, had we so desired. We didn't desire. Oh well.

The checkride, as I mentioned in my previous post, went well. Thankfully, the oral exam was much easier than I had expected. I had been cramming like crazy for it. However, most of the stuff she (the examiner) asked me was a lot easier than the questions I had been covering. So, that was a blessing. Since she was satisfied with the knowledge I had, we went to the flying portion. That went well, other than two things. One was that she was having me do some rather complicated maneuvering with some of my main instruments failed, and I didn't level off at the correct altitude. The other was that Toledo Approach cleared us for the wrong instrument approach into the wrong airport, confusing us with another plane. Other than those two things, the flying portion went really well. I even greased the landing back at Bluffton. :D She was pretty happy with it, and so was I.

Well, that's about all of significance that happened lately, other than drowning a lot last night. :P My scout troop had a meeting at the local YMCA's swimming pool, where, among other things, some of the younger guys got some basic water rescue requirements done. They had to have someone for a "victim." The older guys volunteered. The younger guys started up a chant when I was being dragged back in: "Save the helpless Eagle Scout!" After that, I pretended to be in a slightly bad mood. :D They didn't buy it. Oh well.

No comments: