Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's been under a week--weird, ain't it?

Well, this has been a very history-minded past few days. I found a book lying around called "Grant Comes East." Finding the title intriguing, I picked it up and started reading.
I'm starting to get into this alternate history more and more, and this is right up that alley. It's the second book in a series. As you might guess by what I've said, it's a "what if" of the Civil War. Basically, Lee won at Gettysburg and then also soundly defeated the Army of the Potomac (again) at Union Mills. This is all in the first book of the series, which I haven't read yet. Yeah, I read the second before the first. Oh well.
The book was really good, overall. Very little language, no sexual anything at all, and a fast-paced read. It mainly focuses on the leaders (mostly military, but some political)--Lee, Longstreet, and Stuart on the one side, Lincoln, Grant, and Sickle on the other. It does a very good job of showing Lee's faith, except at one point, at which he used obscenity to get the attention of his staff and get them focused. I was not happy at that point.
It's a very intriguing read. The situations were very plausible, at least based on my understanding. Several characters were rather interesting studies as well, especially Lee. Personally, I'd recommend this book to most people. I really need to read the first one, though. Thankfully, the library has it. :)
Because of all this, I decided to watch a movie tonight. One that I hadn't seen in years. Gods and Generals. At about 11, I was only halfway through it, so I decided I'd stop for the night. However, I'd already been impressed yet again by Jackson's character. He depended utterly on the Lord for strength and protection. As he said in response to a question from one of his staff officers as to why he was so calm in battle, he replied "Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me ... That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
What a testimony for Christ. He sat on his horse, just watching the enemy troops advance, shot plowing up around him. I pray that, if indeed it is God's will for me to be in the Army after college, that I can be as strong a witness as he was.
Well, I'll quickly update you all on everything else going on recently. Church was quite good as normal. Please be praying, though, for more people. We would like to have more in the local area, and we really could use some more elders and deacons.
School's been all right. We're still behind, but we'll finish eventually. I don't remember if I'd said this before or not, but I've made Finalist in the National Merit Scholarship Competition. No money out of it (yet), but this means that, as long as I keep the grades up, I'll get free tuition at Geneva! :)
Shoveling has become a daily activity, or nearly so. The snow has been coming about once a day, putting down anywhere from two to five additional inches. It's been great for working out, at least. :)
Well, that's it for right now. I'm going to a Pinewood Derby on Saturday--Cub Scout event where they race wood cars (only the little ones--about six inches long). Should be fun. If I get the chance, I'll get pictures. Good night everyone!

1 comment:

Morton Family said...

Gods and Generals is one of my favorite movies!
~S~