Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I'm starting to slip...

I'll have to stop this trend. As you've probably noticed, the music has changed. It's now music, I guess, but not the best. This is actually a group of people trying to do it. Wow.

OK. Friday wasn't too much of anything. That's about it for then.

Saturday was busy. We had a hike with the troop around the north side of Kiser [sic] Lake, about 20 miles south of Belle Center. Melting conditions left the ground slippery, leading to several highly interesting points for me. My boots have been worn nearly smooth on the bottoms, so I can't grip the best. Slick snow/mud combining with a slope made it possible for me to ski at a few points, not all of them intended points. :P A few of us had pepperoni rolls baked in a folding oven over a propane stove. We had to eat them a bit under-cooked, since we were running out of time, but they were still great. :)

After the hike, I headed off to the airport. We got there, and I realized I didn't have the logbook, so we went home. I grabbed the logbook and we headed off to the airport again. I preflighted the airplane and headed out. About a minute after takeoff, things started getting interesting. I was about to do some maneuvering, so I checked out the engine instruments, and during my scan noticed something was wrong. I did a more thorough scan and figured out that the oil pressure was quite low--the low end of green. As I watched it for a little while, it decreased further, so I let the guy on the ground at the airport know about it and came back quickly. It turns out that occasionally some bit of crud of some sort or the other gets in and starts blocking the oil lines. I only got .2 hours in, but the airport manager didn't charge me a cent since the plane had mechanical problems. I never panicked and my heart rate really didn't rise any, but, judging from the way I felt afterwards, I'm thinking that I had a bunch of adrenaline pumping through.

Later that evening, Belle Center had the horse-drawn wagon rides to look at the lights around town. I ended up going with a couple families from church. Even though it was slightly drizzling, the whole thing was pretty fun. After getting home, I collapsed and went to sleep before much longer.

Worship on Sabbath was edifying, but sparsely attended. The two families that live a good distance away were unable to come due to weather. As well, we weren't in the building we're normally in, since that congregation needed their building all day long. Sermons were excellent, class was useful, and fellowship, although more limited than normal, was up to its usual high standard. :)

Yesterday I basically finished up ground school for flying. I have a DVD course that I'd never gotten around to completing, so I did that yesterday. I need to do a review with an instructor and do a little more work on a couple subject areas, but overall I'm ready for the written, or knowledge, test administered by the FAA. That should be interesting. :)

Today we got a bunch of schoolwork done, along with some other stuff that was necessary. Mom and I got my application to Geneva finished and sent in, so that was a plus. We had a (pretty much) good troop meeting tonight. I'm getting kind of tired now, so I'm probably forgetting something, but right now it's nothing important, so it doesn't really matter. :)

I'm guessing that's about it. I'm going to try to find a video...
Cheerleader and Band bloopers. As long as nobody gets hurt, always good for a laugh.

2 comments:

Morton Family said...

We are glad that the Lord protected you while flying! Also, that He gave you the wisdom you needed to deal with the situation.

Kate and I really enjoyed that video! We were laughing the whole time.
~S~

Anonymous said...

Yeah, problem with the video, though it was funny, several of those girls had the potential for severe injury. Take the last girl as an example.